The focus of this workshop is on the integration of various play modalities in therapeutic settings, including sand tray play, puppets, games, art, and storytelling play. Through didactic and experiential methods, therapists will have opportunities to learn how and when to use various modalities with both child and adult play. There is special emphasis on integrating the sand tray with play therapy and verbal therapy. In addition, participants will have opportunities to practice nervous system attunement during play therapy exercises.
This training will help participants to:
- Identify facilitation skills for integrating sand tray play with other play therapy modalities.
- Utilize puppet play to enhance play therapy.
- Describe mosaic play as it relates to sand tray play therapy.
- Utilize sand tray miniatures to create a genogram.
- Explain how the use of clay (or masks) reinforces the image thinking that is also a core idea in sand tray play therapy.
- Describe play therapy benefits of using parallel play such as coloring and doodling.
- Explain how games may or may not enhance sand tray play therapy.
- Discuss directive versus nondirective methods for utilizing collage making in play therapy.
- Discuss how the polyvagal theory provides a science-informed perspective on using a variety of play therapy methods in conjunction with sand tray play therapy.
- Identify the role of Panksepp’s innate primary motivational circuits in sand tray play therapy.
- Explain how self-regulation is built on the platform of co-regulation during sand tray play therapy.
- Explain how play helps to build a resilient nervous system during sand tray play therapy.
- Demonstrate skills in working online with supervisees and clients.
In-person training does not have any equipment requirement. For online course equipment requirements, please refer to the linked document below:
Levels 1 & 2; graduate degree in mental health or enrolled in a graduate degree program.
This course is 24 contact hours.
Online Agenda - Coming Soon
In-person Agenda - Coming Soon