The intention for this final workshop of the core curriculum is to create a culminating and integrating experience that will serve both as a completion of a skill set and an opening to a deeper level of practice. This training will draw from all the previous levels of training and from the expertise of each practitioner to refine and integrate the basic knowledge and skills of sand tray clinical practice. Participants will explore clinical case material using the science of interpersonal neurobiology, the 20 powers of therapeutic play, the knowledge of symbolic language, and clinical experience. They also will have opportunities to demonstrate their clinical skills and to provide effective feedback to colleagues for the purpose of ongoing skill development.
This training will help participants to:
- Identify, observe, and nurture sandtray play therapy skills in other professionals.
- Describe the function of symbolic material in sandtray play therapy.
- Discuss concepts of shame in the nervous system as it relates to sandtray play therapy.
- Describe the function of mindfulness when facilitating sandtray play therapy.
- Describe the polyvagal theory as it relates to sandtray play therapy.
- Demonstrate competence in sandtray play therapy facilitation skills.
- Describe ways to conceptualize a sandtray play therapy clinical case for consultation with a colleague or a supervisory consultant.
- List risks associated with sandtray therapy.
- List limitations of sandtray therapy with general populations.
- List limitations of sandtray therapy with specific populations.
- Discuss the meaning of liminal space in sandtray processing.
- Describe the meaning of Kalff’s “free and protected space” in sandtray play therapy.
- Identify problematic issues associated with countertransference in sandtray play therapy
- Identify differences and similarities between the Lowenfeld and Kalff approaches to sandtray/sandplay therapy.
In-person training does not have any equipment requirement. For online course equipment requirements, please refer to the linked document below:
Levels 1 thru 9.
This course is 24 contact hours.